X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fess
    Warrior
    • Jun 2019

IF Hornady wanted to, they could design a 6.5 copper bullet to open at lower velocities. The copper monoflex bullet in the 30-30, for example opens down to 1800fps. The 120gr CX is designed for the 6.5 Creedmoor, though, which starts out significantly faster. Their own table shows it good to almost 500 yards in that rifle.

Comment

• Dinny
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

Which bullet should we test next? Hammer bullets look good, maybe their 93gr??

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

This very interesting new bullet was originally developed for the Sierra Prairie Enemy 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition. Tremendous explosive performance on even the smallest varmints has been its history. So many requests for the bullet as a reloading component for use in the wide array of 6.5mm cartridges has prompted Sierra to offer this bullet. Explosive expansion is a given. True match-accuracy has been easily achieved in all applications. Great varmint bullet and excellent short-range match bullet as well. These would be most excellent in the 6.5 Grendel and most other of the 6.5mm cartridges for prairie dogs, groundhogs, rock chucks, up through bobcat and coyote.

Features Optimal jacket wall thickness controls expansion and retains weight Open pocket under the polymer tip expands lead core instantly on impact Tuned ogive for industry-leading BC Boat tail design for stable flight and accuracy Introducing the Sierra GameChanger hunting bullet: the perfect combination of Sierra’s legendary match accuracy coupled with deadly penetration. Sierra re-engineered their legendary MatchKing bullet into a hollow point design for quick expansion and fitted it with a transparent green tip for ballistic uniformity. Inside, the GameChanger features a unique construction that utilizes a special lead alloy surrounded by a tough copper jacket that delivers excellent penetration and expansion at a variety of ranges. It’s a GameChanger on any hunt! This is not loaded ammunition. This bullet requires a barrel twist rate of 1×8” or faster. (4330)
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-08-2022, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• trubulator
          Warrior
          • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
          Help me out. I am getting older, memory isn't what it used to be, and I have too many vids/hunts to recall exactly which one. Which video and/or which wound?

For whatever reason(s), copper seems to be harder to work with than lead in terms of bullet expansion and such. The range of velocity between opening up and tearing off the petals is seemingly smaller than for lead. If a copper bullet opens at 1200 fps, would it also shed its petals going through the skin at 2400?

At 300 yards, the 120 gr CX still has over 1000 ft lbs of energy, but is below the 2000 fps threshold. 1000 ft lbs is the minimal velocity need for a bullet for deer/hog-sized game, according to many hunters and for many decades (whether this is right or wrong isn't relevant, just that it is a operational minimum that is commonly held valid.

Moreover, at the 2000 fps threshold, the CX isn't apt to expand very well and maybe not at all. It would be nice of the bullet didn't just start to expand, but expanded well all the way down down to 1000 ft lbs of energy. The bullets I have recovered are expanding okay, but certainly not fully and in the case of the first bullet, that was with impacting with over 1350 ft lbs and 2268 fps. I suspect I might need a contact shot to get actual full expansion and I don't know that would even be enough velocity.
          Yeah, for now I will be hunting with home rolled SSTs for deer. I need to have time to put the CX through its paces and see what things look like. What kind of expansion (diameter) did you get with the recovered bullets?

I know for sure the 1000 ft pounds is pretty much bunk, at least for larger calibers. I hit a small doe at 70 yards with a 58 cal round ball that had no more than 500 ft lb at impact and aside from a complete pass through I had bloodshot meat, destroyed hear, damaged lungs, and an animal that made it all of 25 feet from the hit. But with teensy little bullets like a 6.5, we really need expansion to get good performance.

Comment

• EastTNHunter
            Warrior
            • Jul 2021

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
            Help me out. I am getting older, memory isn't what it used to be, and I have too many vids/hunts to recall exactly which one. Which video and/or which wound?

Comment

• RenoDave
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2020

There is great you-tuber called Frontline Rejects that has done several nice Hornady CX Expansion tests:

Looks like the CX will expand down to 1500/1600 FPS - not great expansion at those lower velocities but serviceable I think for varmint/hogs

HornadyCX _expansion.jpg

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by RenoDave View Post
                There is great you-tuber called Frontline Rejects that has done several nice Hornady CX Expansion tests:

Looks like the CX will expand down to 1500/1600 FPS - not great expansion at those lower velocities but serviceable I think for varmint/hogs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19092[/ATTACH]
                Interesting information, but maybe not really relevant. The problem here is that he isn't shooting 6.5 Grendel and so the information doesn't translate very well. I have seen this with several bullets where the bullet performs differently at different calibers. Looking at the picture you posted, he is getting comparable or better expansion at 2-3 times the distance, and 250-500 fps less velocity.
                Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by EastTNHunter View Post
                  I saw your video of that strange wound channel. Any guesses on the cause, Brian?
                  This was on the porpoising wound? So my guess is that the wound pattern is deceptive. In a relaxed position, it looks like the bullet had to dive down from the first wound to make the 2nd wound. That didn't happen. More than likely while running, the trajectory of the bullet when exiting the first wound was actually headed up into the hog again, but higher up. So what I am saying is that during running and such, the skin wasn't in the same position as it is when relaxed, so it looks like it was doing something impossible when it wasn't.

As for going in and coming out of the wounds. I have seen this singularly with shallow trajectory shots, but usually the gouge is longer. I have never seen it happen twice with thes same shot. With multiple wounds to the skin like this, in the past, I have found the bullet was traveling under the skin. In this case, where was no open tissue under the skin to indicate that the bullet had traveled under the skin.
                  Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                  My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by RenoDave View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19092[/ATTACH]

Intertesting. SneakyOne did a lot of testing with the Hornady GMX bullet, compared to many other monoliths available at the time, and it seemed to exhibit the best expansion of them all.

He cut them down to various weights, including 94gr, 95gr, 105gr, and others.

I shot them into timber on a hunt several years ago, then retrieved them. These were loaded to 2750fps if I recall:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X