X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Let's keep it on track, if you really want to for the USMC SAW replacement.

Pistol discussions would require another thread, which we've done before.

My position on it is that pistols are about useless in legacy chamberings, other than Stateside MP work, for some investigators, and very limited applications in the SOF side.

A small PDW that is as close to a pistol, but has extendable stock capability, with a more potent cartridge makes sense for those who have primary duties that require them to employ a more important weapon system or device.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
      No one has ever claimed that the M27 link would work if you just took a pair of pliers to them.

Of course the links need to be designed specifically for the Grendel.

The only reason that it hasn't been done is that there is no business justification for doing the work.
      I understand that getting links developed and manufactured would require a whole lot more $$$ than any small business would willingly invest purely on speculation.

However, the profit motive does not apply to private individuals for whom shooting is only a hobby, although it's unlikely that any are wealthy enough to afford to undertake such a project.

Still, with all the Grendel enthusiasts who have spent beaucoup bucks building 6.5 G rifles over the last 10+ years, some of whom are ardent proponents of the cartridge for military use, it seems like at least one or two of them would've either:

a. Grendelized an M249/Mk46 LMG, using RPD belts (or possibly M68 links).
      b. Grendelized an M27 IAR (or built a comparable IAR on another platform).

I mean, if Cris Murray can do it to demonstrate the military potential of the 7mm UIAC, surely there are Horde members who can do the same with 6.5 Grendel?

Comment

• Mike Wood
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2016

What is this thread even about? Ammo, pistols, some new USMC weapon, ammo links, yada yada yada...geez

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

If anyone develops a linked disintegrating belt light machine gun in 6.5 Grendel the chances are Serbia will have at least explored the concept seeing how they are adopting the 6.5 Grendel for their military. I'd be surprised if Prvi Partizan isn't involed in testing the 6.5 Grendel in a light machine gun.

Comment

• dobrodan
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2014

Even if the belt is not disintegrating, there are no law that says the belt can only be divided into 50rd sections. 10rd sections is possible, and would not be bothersome at all.

Comment

• ahillock
              Warrior
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by dobrodan View Post
              If you want to save weight, leave the pistol at home...
              Keep the pistol, if you are ever in a fight and your rifle magazine runs dry....."The fastest reload is transition to secondary weapon."

Comment

• dobrodan
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
                Keep the pistol, if you are ever in a fight and your rifle magazine runs dry....."The fastest reload is transition to secondary weapon."

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Oh of course, why didn't we think about this? Because it's completely unrealistic! Even for the most experienced operators, mags will run dry if they find themselves in an intense firefight.

Back in my day I could change a mag in well under a second. Whether it's quicker to draw a pistol than reload a mag I'll give you is arguable at least to some degree. However, what is not arguable is how much quicker it is to pull a pistol as opposed to correct a failure to function of your rifle.

Originally posted by dobrodan View Post
                  ... Sure, there are situations where pistols are very nice to have, but not often, unless you do FIBUA or other stunts, which I suspect will be rarer and rarer. (Micro-drones will propably take care of those situations in the future)...
                  ??? Micro-drones???
                  Last edited by cory; 12-21-2016, 05:23 PM.
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• dobrodan
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2014

Oh of course, why didn't we think about this? Because it's completely unrealistic! Even for the most experienced operators, mags will run dry if they find themselves in an intense firefight.

Back in my day I could change a mag in well under a second. Whether it's quicker to draw a pistol than reload a mag I'll give you is arguable at least to some degree. However, what is not arguable is how much quicker it is to pull a pistol as opposed to correct a failure to function of your rifle.

??? Micro-drones???
                    Sure, but If you make sure you keep an almost full mag in your weapon at all times, then you are at least as prepared as you can be for that firefight.
                    You might run dry, or have a failure to fire, but you should usually (at least as regular infantry or recon) have somebody nearby that should be able to give immediate covering fire.

Also, if you are in such an intense firefight that you run dry, how often would a pistol save your butt? With tunnel-vision, and adrenaline coming out your ears, you would probably not be able to hit anything further away than 5m with a pistol. If you are lucky, you might distract your opponent, but most likely, you would not be able to take him or them out.

Micro-drones: http://www.proxdynamics.com/home

Comment

• ahillock
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2016

Guess what the Marines had to do to fix the issues they have had with the M27, start using Magpul PMAGs again

Marines to Get PMAG to Fix M27 Woes with M855A1 Round

Marines are free to use the PMAG at last.

In welcome news for many a Marine (and Magpul employee), the Marine Corps has finally approved the high-performing PMAG magazine for use on the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle, as well as the M16A4 and M4 carbines.
                      Marines are free to use the PMAG at last. In welcome news for many a Marine (and Magpul employee), the Marine Corps has finally approved the high-performing PMAG magazine for use on the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle, as well as the M16A4 and M4 carbines. As readers of this blog are well aware, the magazine is one of the best on the market and has long been used by special operations forces and soldiers. The Corps banned the product in 2012 because of compatibility issues with the first-generation version of the magazine and the IAR.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

There were earlier PMAGs that had lip cracking issues on the drop tests in -60 F.

Aluminum mags will bend.

They made some changes to address the drop test requirements and have some pretty impressive round counts with M855A1 and M3 PMAGs.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Mike Wood
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2016

Back in my day I could change a mag in well under a second.

Video or it didn't happen...hahaha

I love this thread. It's like a shepherds pie of info

Comment

• montana
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
                              Guess what the Marines had to do to fix the issues they have had with the M27, start using Magpul PMAGs again

Marines to Get PMAG to Fix M27 Woes with M855A1 Round

http://kitup.military.com/2016/12/pm...5a1-round.html
                              The other conclusion is the P-mag is just an interim replacement for the legacy magazine. Here is the story from the Firearm blog.
                              An update from the USMC has been released today authorizing the purchase of Gen M3 PMags with unit funds for Marine Corps combat units. The update reads: GENTEXT/RMKS/1. PURPOSE. THIS MESSAGE PROVIDES UPDATED GUIDANCE REGARDING THE USE OF MAGAZINES FOR THE M4/M16 SERIES AND M27 INFANTRY AUTOMATIC RIFLE (IAR). 2. BACKGROUND. MARINE CORPS UNITS WILL … Read More …

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

Whether it's quicker to draw a pistol than reload a mag I'll give you is arguable at least to some degree. However, what is not arguable is how much quicker it is to pull a pistol as opposed to correct a failure to function of your rifle.
                                Being able to pull a pistol when your rifle malfunctions would certainly be nice during room clearing, but probably not much value during most firefights.

In any case, the point seems kinda moot. I mean, how many riflemen are even issued pistols?

Comment

Working...
                                X