www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Who cares about metallic cases when you have this:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...05/wV5UVry.png
      Who cares? Well, primarily devout fans of 6.5 Grendel and other metallic cartridges which have been proposed as alternatives to the two current NATO rounds.

But, isn't it a bit premature to dismiss metallic cartridges, when CT ammo and weapons are still only in the development stage, and have not yet been fielded?

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

LRRPF52 I wonder why they haven't included pistol cartridges in this development program. It would make the 5.7mm much more competitive.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by cory View Post
          LRRPF52 I wonder why they haven't included pistol cartridges in this development program. It would make the 5.7mm much more competitive.
          The way the mechanism feeds and extracts would make a pistol really bulky.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dobrodan
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2014

Also, pistol ammunition is usually not what you run out of, as it is a back-up-weapon.

If you want to save weight, leave the pistol at home...

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Would a pistol still be nothing more than a backup weapon if you were sending 62gr projectiles down range at 2000+ fps instead of a big slow slug?

Comment

• ahillock
                Warrior
                • Jan 2016

Sweden figured this out +100 years ago, that the 6.5mm round is one of the best projectiles for military needs. I wouldn't need millions of DoD funding to tell them that either. Pretty simple actually if they would leave the politics and kickbacks out of it.

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Would a pistol still be nothing more than a backup weapon if you were sending 62gr projectiles down range at 2000+ fps instead of a big slow slug?
                  If the mechanism LRRPF52 refers to gets changed or another less bulky action is implemented, then that 5.56 LSAT round could find use as a pistol round too.

That would also have interesting consequences.
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    The way the mechanism feeds and extracts would make a pistol really bulky.
                    Indeed. There's a good illustration of the mechanism @ 1:23-1:43 in the video below.

I wonder if a practical, self-loading pistol is even possible with the CT cartridge configuration. Maybe it would cause a rebirth of the revolver, with cartridges pre-loaded into quick-change cylinders, sort of like was done with old cap-and-ball guns?

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

If going into combat, would you prefer a handgun firing 62gr slugs @ 2000 fps, or a shoulder weapon firing 123gr bullets @ 3000 fps?

Comment

• dobrodan
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2014

Yes it would. A pistol is something you use to fight your way back to your rifle.

A PDW/SMG would be something else, as that would be a lot more controllable and accurate.

I have found myself avoiding to wear a pistol in the field (unless carrying a MG, sniper-rifle or CG84mm), as it typically only brings extra weight and cumbersomeness without really adding to my capabilities. I would much rather bring a mag or two extra for my rifle.

I like pistols, but IMO, they are of limited relevance for infantry in the field. The best backup-weapon is the one in the hands of your buddy right next to you.

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                          If going into combat, would you prefer a handgun firing 62gr SS109 @ 2000 fps, or a shoulder weapon firing 123gr bullets @ 3000 fps?
                          Fixed that for you.

I'll take both!

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by dobrodan View Post
                            Yes it would. A pistol is something you use to fight your way back to your rifle.

A PDW/SMG would be something else, as that would be a lot more controllable and accurate.

I have found myself avoiding to wear a pistol in the field (unless carrying a MG, sniper-rifle or CG84mm), as it typically only brings extra weight and cumbersomeness without really adding to my capabilities. I would much rather bring a mag or two extra for my rifle.

I like pistols, but IMO, they are of limited relevance for infantry in the field. The best backup-weapon is the one in the hands of your buddy right next to you.
                            The question was never an or, it was an in addition to.

I'd tend to agree with you assessment for a rifleman carrying an m4, operating in rural environments. However, when operating in a tight urban environment I completely disagree. And this is all assuming the pistol we're talking about is the M9 carrying 9mm fmj ammunition.

Now if I had a pistol firing ammunition that has the same performance as the current ammunition being carried has at 300 yards and beyond. (The pistol would obviously require a round that is much lower than 62ksi). This type of ability would force a rethink of the way we utilize our weapons in much the same way NVGs have changed the battlefield. I would much rather be on a battlefield where mortars/arty has lit up the enemy with illumination rounds than run with nvgs on. However, that doesn't mean I won't utilize NVGs when they are the best option or I don't have an option.

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

Dobradan's point is on the mark.

I would add, however, that pistols are carried because even the 1911 on 45 ACP is light enough that it can be carried without thought or inference with one's duties.

The problem is that hit probabilities are even lower in high stress situations than is the case with weapons designed for two-hand support and shoulder contact.

That means that the weapon having a modest hit probability is generally heavy and bulky enough that it is all too frequently not worn on the body when doing vehicle maintenance, loading artilllery and so on.
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

Now if I had a pistol firing ammunition that has the same performance as the current ammunition being carried has at 300 yards and beyond. (The pistol would obviously require a round that is much lower than 62ksi). This type of ability would force a rethink of the way we utilize our weapons in much the same way NVGs have changed the battlefield.
                                Explain/elaborate, please. I don't see how a SCHV pistol would (or conceivably could) materially change things, even assuming that leadership would see fit to take the unprecedented action of making a handgun standard issue to all riflemen.

Comment

Working...
                                X