• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peregrine
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Need Optics Recommendation

Horde,

Can you weigh in on your personal favorite scope in the $600 and under budget range? I want to use my Grendel to learn long(er) range target shooting. New to the game, but I’d like to work up to the 400-600 yard range if possible. Barrel is the 18” Faxon group barrel. I have a nice trigger (Geissele SSA-E) and adj. gas block. I’m all ears on overall recommendations and guidance. So far, I’ve heard good things about Primary Arms, SWFA, and Vortex. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited by Peregrine; 04-06-2018, 01:06 AM.
    Gun control means using both hands.
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

I'm getting an Athlon Midas. But for long range probably would get and Argos FFP or better yet first choice would be Ares FFp $800.oo best deal going. More bang for the buck than Vortex unless you go over 1K. Primary Arms sub 1K mixed reviews on them. Check out the reviews on them all see which one fits your needs.

Comment

• Zeus
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2018

$600 is a pretty decent budget for some glass. I'm a big Leupold fan.....Here's a pretty good deal on a nice scope..... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...-reticle-matte

Comment

• 98Z
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Peregrine View Post
        Horde,

Can you weigh in on your personal favorite scope in the $600 and under budget range? I want to use my Grendel to learn long(er) range target shooting. New to the game, but I’d like to work up to the 400-600 yard range if possible.
        Just go pull a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP mil dot scope, and be done. You'll learn on that. It doesn't have a BDC to confuse you, when there are NO BDC scopes for a Grendel, and nothing matches up. It forces you to learn mils, which will aid you in determining distance, reading wind, and dialing drop. It's under $250.

You can't go wrong. If you absolutely HATE it, I'll buy it from you for whatever you had to pay. Full retail. That's my money-back guarantee. If you think it sucks, I eat your scope, you're out nothing, and you move to something else. You don't lose anything, but time.

Deal? I'm skins-in on it.

Here's the mil-dot scope:
        DetailsThis Primary Arms rifle scope is part of the SLx optics line. SLx optics have built a reputation for innovation, reliability, and value. All SLx optics undergo rigorous field-testing during development to best serve you in any environment.The Primary Arms 4-14x44mm rifle scope was the first step into first focal plane (FFP) optics and remains one of the most cost-effective options on the market. Having a reticle stay 'true' through the entire magnification range opens a world of possibility for hunters, marksman, and competitors everywhere. Add in "built like a tank" construction and a lifetime warranty, and it's easy to see why this scope is so popular.Features:Traditional MIL-DOT reticle can be used to accurately range and holdoverFirst Focal Plane reticle stays true at all magnificationsHigh strength aircraft grade aluminum bodySide-adjustable parallax and fast focus eye piece for crisp view of the target and reticle30mm main tube compatible with your favorite rings and mountsTactile and audible 1/10 MIL windage and elevation adjustmentsExposed tactical style turrets with Zero ResetShockproof, waterproof, and fog resistantParallax adjusts from 15 yards to infinity!Excellent glass clarityAt the heart of the 4-14x44mm rifle scope is the first focal plane MIL-DOT reticle. Properly matched with MIL/MIL turret adjustments, this traditional reticle in use by military forces in almost every country allows shooters to range and find their hold overs without being forced to use caliber specific BDC systems. Each dot is .25 MILs with a full MIL measured from the center of one dot to the next. For shooters who want a proven reticle with wide spread military acceptance, the MIL-DOT is perfect for you.A scope that won’t hold up to real world use won’t do any good, so they built the 4-14x44mm FFP tactical rifle scope to last with a heavy-duty aircraft grade 6063 aluminum body and 30mm main tube. Waterproof, shockproof, and fog resistant, this scope is perfectly at home on an AR-15 or your favorite hunting rifle. Even better, the MIL/MIL turrets track correctly through their full 17.5 MIL adjustment range, allowing for confident adjustments for shooters who prefer to count their clicks. With clear glass, heavy duty construction, and a true first focal plane reticle that can be leveraged at every magnification, the 4-14x44mm rifle scope from Primary Arms offers shooters a versatile and effective rifle scope, covered by a lifetime warranty!See More

Now, they JUST announced the same scope, in MOA. I'm not a fan of MOA, myself, so my money-back guarantee doesn't apply on this one. If you like MOA, I can tell you that this one SHOULD perform the same as the mil-dot scope I like, and have used for several years now... If you buy it and don't like it, then that's on you - I have no use for the MOA scope, and don't want it. You eat that one.

Shop our catalog of Rifle Scopes. Find AK 47, AR 308, & AR 15 scopes from Primary Arms, Trijicon, Vortex & more. Available in BDC, MOA, MIL, ACSS & more.

Comment

• 98Z
          Warrior
          • Jan 2018

I gotta be honest - looks like that MOA scope has an illuminated reticle. The mil-mil scope DOES NOT. Same price for both. Read those descriptions closely. I still won't buy that MOA scope from you, if you don't like it. Not an MOA guy...

Comment

• mdewitt71
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Argos BTR 6-24 x 50mm
            First Focal Plane (FFP), 30mm Tube, Illuminated Reticle, 100% Warranty
            $369.00

I was skeptic at first (I own dozens of Vortex, Nikon, PA, and Leupold) but, now that I have one.... I will be buying another.
            ― George Orwell

Comment

• waccamawscout
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2016

I have been looking at the argos btr does it have reliable turrents

Comment

• nathan197
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2017

Lifetime warranty, awesome quality

Comment

• mdewitt71
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by waccamawscout View Post
                  It is not a NightForce or Schmidt and Bender but, it is also not even half the cost of one.
                  From what I have seen and read; it seems pretty reliable for the $$$.
                  Again, if it is not it has a 100% Warranty.

I have yet to take mine out to 1000 yards but, I know 2 gents that have done it with theirs, reason I bought one.
                  ― George Orwell

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Vortex is good if the get the Viper HS and above...I have 4 PSTs and a Strike Eagle

• Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
                    • Fully transferable
                    • No warranty card to fill out
                    • No receipt needed to hang on to
                    Last edited by BjornF16; 04-07-2018, 01:21 AM.
                    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Popeye212
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by waccamawscout View Post
                      Check the Youtube videos on it they have several, has been accurate on all of them..Some others not so much.

Comment

• 98Z
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2018

You guys researched the differences between the Primary Arms scopes the and the Athlon scopes?...

Just asking, here. Ever researched it?

You have a US vendor that will bend over backwards to ensure you're satisfied (Primary Arms), yet you link a very "similar" scope at a much higher price...

This had me bewildered... I'm just sayin'...

The most popular and widely respected voice in America for your gun rights, breaking 2nd Amendment news, and everything else you need to know as a gun owner...
                        Last edited by 98Z; 04-07-2018, 04:33 AM.

Comment

• GjGary
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

Comment

• mdewitt71
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

I am an avid user of Vortex and was on staff for them for a bit......
                            Great products and awesome no questions warranty.
                            I have two Razors and four Viper HS-T scopes and really like em.

That being said, the Athlon Argos BTR holds up to them quite a bit and is even cheaper.
                            Yes, cheaper means they skipped out on something most likely but, I do not see it on the inside and it seems to track well too.
                            I have not had but for a few months and owned the Vortex models since the company made em so time will tell for Athlon.
                            ― George Orwell

Comment

• Peregrine
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2017

I really like Vortex, but... I just can’t afford it right now. I’ve been eyeing up this Nikon. FFP mil/mil. What do you guys think? Any scope ring/mount recommendations?

Considering this mount.
                              Last edited by Peregrine; 04-12-2018, 02:11 AM. Reason: Add link
                              Gun control means using both hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X