• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by jhoyda View Post
    According to this unsubstantiated internet post (12th from top), Cronus is made in Japan everything else China.

http://www.opticstalk.com/athlon-rifle-scopes_topic42523.html
    I said "maybe" in my previous post as I am not Athlon Official and will not speak for them but, I was just at Athlon HQ and will be back there soon as well.....
    I know for a fact where and in exactly what plant each one of their scopes come from; don't believe the hype.
    ― George Orwell

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

I have one “complaint” about my Ares BTR, the clicks are shallow, close, and quiet. After dialing some, no more complaints. Just subtle differences between optic makers.

The glass is outstanding. I shoot with a guy that runs gen 1 razors, and he agrees the Athlon is brighter, easier to eyebox, and clearer. His gen 2 should be here in a few days, maybe today. We will compare again. After playing with the Ares, he’s thinking about sending the vortex back and saving the cash for his new Grendel build...
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• mdewitt71
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
        I have one “complaint” about my Ares BTR, the clicks are shallow, close, and quiet. After dialing some, no more complaints. Just subtle differences between optic makers.

The glass is outstanding. I shoot with a guy that runs gen 1 razors, and he agrees the Athlon is brighter, easier to eyebox, and clearer. His gen 2 should be here in a few days, maybe today. We will compare again. After playing with the Ares, he’s thinking about sending the vortex back and saving the cash for his new Grendel build...
        The turrets are what separate the Ares and Chronos from the S&B and NF optics.... IMHO but, then again the price difference tells that as well.
        It's really a personal pref from the Ares to the Gen II PST, they were built with almost the same parts in same factory and are very very close. I have been told the Black FX1000 is right in there with them both and maybe right in the middle for some people as far as ranking.
        I am still waiting to get my hands on a FX1000.
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• shadowulf
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2017

I was dead set on an SWFA 3-15 FFP then found out about the Nikon FX1000. I just ordered the exact scope you listed. FYI, SWFA has them on sale right now for $582. The SWFA 3-15 is also on on sale at $559.
          I went with the , now discontinued, SWFA 3-15x42 Mil-Quad DM. I really like this reticle.
          I had a few issues with the eye relief. Ended up remounting everything to get it straightened out.
          Now I'm getting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups out at 200yds.
          The glass is clear enough for me.
          Just wish this reticle came on a FFP scope.

Comment

• Lightning8
            Warrior
            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by nathan197 View Post
            http://aaoptics.com/Refurbished-_c_93.html
            Lifetime warranty, awesome quality
            That refurbished Vortex HS LR for $500 is a deal. I have one of those (not a refurb) and it is a great LR scope. I do have other refurb Vortex and they have served me well.

Comment

• jhoyda
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
              I said "maybe" in my previous post as I am not Athlon Official and will not speak for them but, I was just at Athlon HQ and will be back there soon as well.....
              I know for a fact where and in exactly what plant each one of their scopes come from; don't believe the hype.
              I'm confused. I offered a link to a post supporting your exact position. I was agreeing with you.

If you know exactly where they are made why would you add the qualifier "maybe?"

Comment

• Crusty
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

I'm really happy with my FX1000 (6-24x50). I can see the center of the bull when I squeeze one off now and my groups just improved because of that alone. Consider saving a while longer (+$200) to get a Nikon FX1000 - it's a match grade scope that you'll likely be happy with for a long time.

Nikon scope small.jpg

I just bought and mounted the Nikon Black Cantilever 20 MOA mount ($129) for long range and it's equally as good as the scope and is lighter and looks nicer than the Burris PEPR I had on there before. It's hard to find a 20 MOA mount at that price and this one is good quality to boot.

16405_BLACK_Cantilever_Mount_Profile.png
                Last edited by Crusty; 04-21-2018, 03:18 PM.
                I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

I'm confused. I offered a link to a post supporting your exact position. I was agreeing with you.

If you know exactly where they are made why would you add the qualifier "maybe?"
                  Was not disagreeing with you, guess I should not of quoted you.
                  I am just stating I am NOT ATHLON OFFICIAL... so whatever I say is NOT OFFICIAL for the Company.
                  What I know and say from a recent visit or with talks or emails from their HQ, could have changed in the week.
                  Reason most companies have that lil statement at the end of any correspondences.

Now days way too many people take the good ole InterWeb as first hand knowledge when it never is.
                  ― George Orwell

Comment

• mdewitt71
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Crusty View Post
                    I'm really happy with my FX1000 (6-24x50). I can see the center of the bull when I squeeze one off now and my groups just improved because of that alone. Consider saving a while longer (+$200) to get a Nikon FX1000 - it's a match grade scope that you'll likely be happy with for a long time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11729[/ATTACH]

I just bought and mounted the Nikon Black Cantilever 20 MOA mount ($129) for long range and it's equally as good as the scope and is lighter and looks nicer than the Burris PEPR I had on there before. It's hard to find a 20 MOA mount at that price and this one is good quality to boot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11730[/ATTACH]
                    Very, very nice.....
                    Yes If I get the FX1000, I will get that Black mount as well.
                    Keep us posted on it, I would really like to hear about how it does when you really work the turrets over time.
                    ― George Orwell

Comment

• Crusty
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

The turrets feel very positive and firm, but not too firm and I haven't noticed any "wearing in" as I've worked them all the way in to all the way out at least 10 times (no change from the first time). Based on the Nikon cameras I've had in the past I expect this scope to remain rock solid because my cameras never let me down, but there's a lifetime warranty just in case.

Didn't mention it before but the FX1000 comes with a sun shade which normally sells for $50 standalone.

I just took a picture with the scope mounted in the Nikon mount and here it is. It cleans up the top and now I won't be trying to grab a QD lever to rack the action on my side charger.

Nikon scope & mount (Small).jpg
                      Last edited by Crusty; 04-22-2018, 12:00 AM.
                      I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• bman940
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2018

Great reading the positive comments about Nikon's BLACK FX1000 scope. I do some freelance work with Nikon and got to show it off at SHOT Show and it was certainly very well received. Hopefully one of these days I'll get to put some rounds under one. I have the BLACK Series 20 MOA mount's on 2 longrange rifles and both function flawlessly. A great price on a solid well thought out mount.
                        Bart
                        Nikon Prostaff since 2010
                        Nikon riflescope user from 1984

Comment

• jhoyda
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2017

Was not disagreeing with you, guess I should not of quoted you.
                          I am just stating I am NOT ATHLON OFFICIAL... so whatever I say is NOT OFFICIAL for the Company.
                          What I know and say from a recent visit or with talks or emails from their HQ, could have changed in the week.
                          Reason most companies have that lil statement at the end of any correspondences.

Now days way too many people take the good ole InterWeb as first hand knowledge when it never is.
                          No worries. I reread your post after I posted and came to a similar conclusion.

On a side note I was able to get out and try my FX1000. It was around 8 pm in Northern Ohio so the sun was starting to set, but I had no trouble seeing the target or the reticle in my non-illuminated model. Glass is quite clear. I'm happy with the purchase thus far.

One interesting thing I have noticed: the XR Turrets on my Monarch 5 seem "snappier" than those on the FX1000. Could be the grease has worn out of the XR Turrets. Not a complaint, but an interesting observation. Time will tell how the turrets wear in.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

No worries. I reread your post after I posted and came to a similar conclusion.

On a side note I was able to get out and try my FX1000. It was around 8 pm in Northern Ohio so the sun was starting to set, but I had no trouble seeing the target or the reticle in my non-illuminated model. Glass is quite clear. I'm happy with the purchase thus far.

One interesting thing I have noticed: the XR Turrets on my Monarch 5 seem "snappier" than those on the FX1000. Could be the grease has worn out of the XR Turrets. Not a complaint, but an interesting observation. Time will tell how the turrets wear in.
                            Thanks for sharing...
                            I do like Nikon Monarch 3 and 5s; Have you taken the Black FX1000 turret caps off and seen if they are really greasy compared to others?
                            Good luck and good shooting with it.
                            ― George Orwell

Comment

• jhoyda
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2017

Thanks for sharing...
                              I do like Nikon Monarch 3 and 5s; Have you taken the Black FX1000 turret caps off and seen if they are really greasy compared to others?
                              Good luck and good shooting with it.
                              Yes, I have. And there was a fair amount of white, translucent grease inside.

Comment

• tango29
                                Bloodstained
                                • Sep 2014

look at a vortex pst Gen II. Lifetime warranty and great glass.

Comment

Working...
                                X