What optic are you running on your AR pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wafavre2
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

IMG_0203.JPGVortex Razor 5-20

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

That’s a funny looking pistol War
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Jakal
        Warrior
        • May 2014

12-5_Lilja_Pistol.jpg
        Last edited by Jakal; 05-02-2018, 01:28 AM.
        ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• drewthebrave
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by 98Z View Post
          Leupold Mark AR Mod 1, 1.5~4, Firedot-G, on the 12.5 Grendel. I've taken it out to 845 yards so far on IPSC steel, at 10.2 mils of drop, on hot handloads. It's a mil dot reticle, 0.1 mil clicks on the turret, and it just works. And it's light.
          How does it handle at 1.5x? I have the 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol on my 18" 5.56, and I LOVE the illuminated dot for quick target acquisition. Almost works like a red dot which is fine for my 18", but at 3x it's a little slower than I'd like for a pistol. For a time, I had my 1-4x SWFA on my pistol, but the illumination is NOT daylight bright and I found I preferred a red dot on it for the time being.

At some point I'm probably going to give a magnified optic on my pistol another go, because I REALLY think the bright Firedot reticle on a 1.25 or 1.5x low end would be a hoot, with the 4x on the high end giving me a little more reach when needed.

Comment

• Irbuff
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

Just curious what anyone's thoughts would be on an acog. I've always wanted one just haven't had anything to put one on. Thinking about doing a grendel pistol so thought maybe it would be slick on there. Any thoughts?

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

A lot depends on your eyes. I tried one first in a Cabelas, then ordered one and put it on, but couldn't really make it work so I switched it to a 2x7, this works better for my eyesight. Just a duplex reticle, no bdc -- I'm planning 50-100-maybe 150 for it so most loads will be pretty flat.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• PeterD
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

My short list with weight concious driving me. I'm starting to think fixed light mount now instead of QD to keep weight down even more. Pistol build was built with 200 and under range in mind for the vast majority of use cases with small ocassional range stretching use case if I get curious limited by local range distance offerings which I believe the longest is 600 yards.

In no particular order:
                1. Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.5-4x. decent-ish glass for price, motion activated I like a lot, fairly light, neg would be build quality isn't the best example for a Leupold. Lightest of the short list but not necessarily a good thing for robustness.
                2. Burris XTR II 1-5x24. Very good glass, more zoom range, but pricier but not overly so compared to the Leupold. Better build quality.
                3. SWFA SS 1-4x. Lowest priority personally, solid scope, if not aging offering, neg battery life.

I own a red dot ring/dot combo with motion sensor instant on and have grown used to it's operation. I toyed in my head with just running one with a fixed fold out magnifier in front, but I did not see a whole lot of selection in fixed magnifiers and the eye relief sweet spot on what I found would likely annoy me.

Comment

• drewthebrave
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2016

Originally posted by PeterD View Post
                  My short list with weight concious driving me. I'm starting to think fixed light mount now instead of QD to keep weight down even more. Pistol build was built with 200 and under range in mind for the vast majority of use cases with small ocassional range stretching use case if I get curious limited by local range distance offerings which I believe the longest is 600 yards.

In no particular order:
                  1. Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.5-4x. decent-ish glass for price, motion activated I like a lot, fairly light, neg would be build quality isn't the best example for a Leupold. Lightest of the short list but not necessarily a good thing for robustness.
                  2. Burris XTR II 1-5x24. Very good glass, more zoom range, but pricier but not overly so compared to the Leupold. Better build quality.
                  3. SWFA SS 1-4x. Lowest priority personally, solid scope, if not aging offering, neg battery life.
                  I own the SWFA 1-4x and the VX-R Patrol in 3-9x. While I really like the reticle of the SWFA (especially for ranging), I'm tempted to sell it for a 1-4x Leupy (possibly the cheaper Mark AR) because I like the Firedot on my Patrol so much. The SWFA definitely feels robust, though I have never used the Burris.

Comment

• Redomen
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2016

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

Originally posted by Redomen View Post
                      I am in the same boat. I was considering an eotech or similar but I can’t find logic in the price tag when I can get a 1-6 power scope for the same price or less. I have a 1-6 Strike eagle on my 16” Grendel and I love it. I am eyeballing the Primary Arms 1-8 with ACCS reticle for around $290.00 last I looked. Not sure how good they are though. I will be watching this post as well.
                      I was looking at an Eotech for my 223. Emphasis on was
                      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Redomen
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

Wow StoneHendge thank you for sharing that bit of info on eotech. I will definitely be going with a regular scope.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Dude! Makes you wonder how they manage to sell them...
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I used an E O Tech on a patrol rifle for about ten years in the midwest and had no issues with my E O Tech 512. I have two 512’s plus my Daughter uses her 512 on her patrol rifle. I also have a N battery 511, works but I like the AA battery 512 better with Lithium batteries. Maybe I’m just lucky.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

I put my GRSC 1-4x24 (discontinued) scope on my 12" pistol as a placeholder, but really love it for the compactness and reticle, which works very well with this set-up so far out to 800yds on 24"x18" targets, and 18" tgts within 500yds.

The scope that I think would be perfect on a Grendel pistol/SBR is the March 1-8x Shorty, or the Norden Performance 1-6x24 (Premium Japanese scope)

I wish we could get the GRSC reticle in the March 1-8x Shorty.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2018

Take a look at Burris RT-6. I pulled one off one of my other AR’s and put it on my 12 inch Grendel. Glass is close to the XTR line of scopes. Good price too.

Comment

Working...
                                X