What optic are you running on your AR pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Just keep in mind that for most of you, you'll be limited to maybe 800yds of supersonic reach with the best 6.5mm bullets from a pistol if you're closer to sea level.

So the scope doesn't need to have much drop stadia data beyond 800yds if you're using a reticle.

I think it makes a lot of sense to go with a reticle stadia system on the Grendel pistol because we're usually looking for a ubiquitous, simple, KISS type set-up that doesn't require dialing target turrets.

You can go that route too if you want.

Other high end options are the Leupold Mark Mark 5 3.6-18x44 or the Mark 6 3-18x44 with Tremor 2.

A more economical optic would be the Vortex 1-8x24, but I've heard mixed feelings on the optic quality. Then everyone will tell you to look at Primary Arms after that.

Vortex 1-8x24 Strike Eagle Reticle:

I'm really enjoying the usefulness of the Norden Performance 1-6x24.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 06-16-2018, 09:30 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• RedXds
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2016

What's everyone's thoughts on the Burris XTR II 1.5X8?

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Originally posted by RedXds View Post
        I was real close to ordering one with the Ballistic CQ Mil reticle as good deals can be found. Seemed to have everything and the dual focal plane is a nice touch. Except it's heavy at 24 oz.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• RedXds
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
          I was real close to ordering one with the Ballistic CQ Mil reticle as good deals can be found. Seemed to have everything and the dual focal plane is a nice touch. Except it's heavy at 24 oz.
          It is heavy. The glass is great for the money and for hunting purposes off my 12" upper it's sweet. In fact I was so impressed I bought the XTR II 3.5 x 15 SCR for my precision rifle. But that's another story.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

I’m at a similar decision point. Looking for an optic for my pistol build. I’m not a G14 classifies, super ninja operator. (Although I have much respect for those guys). I’m just looking to get out to 600ish on steel and paper. And be about to humanely drop a pig or deer at <200.

I’m looking at the Bushnell Engage: http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/rifl...age/ren21044dg

Athlon Midas: https://athlonoptics.com/product/rif...r1-sfp-ir-mil/

Or Vortex Strike Eagle: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...ar-bdc-reticle

I’m familiar with Athlon and run one on my PRS rig. The Vortex is small and seems to be the choice for compactness. The Engage I know nothing about.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I had (until this afternoon) a 2-7x on mine but moved up to a 3-9x40 with the BDC, I don't have a need to go out to 5-600 yd altho more power to the guys who can!
              If I have a 200 yd reach with this one I'm happy. Kind of like a "30-30" modernized to me, and lightweight to boot.
              This Nikon bdc style is one I use on several and I guess I'm just used to it, so that's where I am right now.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• drnls1
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by RedXds View Post
                Just finished 12.5" pistol build, using this scope. Once I dialed it in reset the turrets, used Strelok app - rang steel out to 500 no problem.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

I went with the Midas. Considering the features and the deal I got from Midway, I could not pass on it. It’s been good thus far.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by drnls1 View Post
                    Just finished 12.5" pistol build, using this scope. Once I dialed it in reset the turrets, used Strelok app - rang steel out to 500 no problem.
                    What round are you using to get out to 500? I’m curious about the limits of these pistols. I just finished a 12.7 group buy build.

Comment

• kpswihart
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

I've shot factory 123 SST's, 123 SST reloads and 129 ABLR's out of my 12" GB barrel. I have it topped with a 1-8 Vortex Strike Eagle and have taken it to 440. I'm still getting accustomed to the reticle. At times, it seems like I'd prefer a more precise reticle - but I think it will do fine for screwing off on the range and in most hunting situations. I have considered looking for a Gen 1 PST 2x-10x. Fairly happy with the pistol.

Comment

• drnls1
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2018

American Gunner
                        Hornady black and sst from lgs

Comment

• Bennyg111
                          Unwashed
                          • Feb 2018

I just built a 9mm pistol build. More for fun than anything. I'm thinking about just getting some thing like a simple holosun reflex site. I can't see myself using it for much more than fun

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

I'm looking more than seriously at locating a used Vortex 2.3-10x32 MIL. I've come to understand that the Grendel pistol really deserves the magnification, especially on a hunting and varmint rig. The vortex warranty is amazing, so buying used is a no brainer, and they can be had for >$600 usually. Put it in my LT104, and I can swap it between my rifle and pistol, just knowing and dialing the POI difference between them to zero. The 104 likes both rails without needing to adjust the tension on the levers, so I'm fortunate there. I'm looking at the XTRII in the same mag range as well, and find it more appealing, but the warranty while competitive, isn't quite as nice. I probably would pick an XTR over the Vortex if the price was right.

Personally, I've come to believe that 2-10 is just about right on a hunting application rifle (inside 400 yards), any more than that is overkill and unnecessary. I have higher mag optics, and can switch it on with my LT745 20MOA mount, so if I want to take the rifle out to the limits I can throw that on; but for hunting and general inside 600 meter engagement, 2-10 is po-lenty.

I had a gen 1 PST 1-4 on the pistol, and it was great out to about 300, but further than that, and I started to wonder if I was holding MOA or sending hopeful wishes. Further than 400, and it really became obvious that while possible, grouping at that distance becomes more hopeful than confident. At 10 power, 600 is nice, and confidence is higher. That's just my limited experience with some impromptu range sessions, nothing scientific, and only first impressions. Inside 300, which is most hunting engagements with 5" vital zone radii, the 1-4 is plenty, and a light version that had a true 1x would be rather ideal for a woods compact carbine.

If money wasn't a problem, than a 7.62 reticle ACOG would be a really attractive optic, but the costs associated, and the fixed magnification drive them down my list.

The weight of the variables with good or better glass (seems everyone but Leupold) hurt. I'd love a really light optic in true 1-x, but the costs of good ones (swaro, NF, March, Leup Mk5-6, etc) are more than the budget of many shooters supports, and many of these don't spell out their warranty as nicely or enforce them as nicely as Vortex, this niche's market leaders. The fact that the Leupy MK AR 1.5-4 isn't actually a 1x drives me crazy. I need to get a hold of one on a rifle and put eyes on target at 15 yards to see what 1.5 is really like. If it's blurry with both eyes open, I'm out for good.

After spending some time between the MOA and MIL optics, I've found out that Grendel in MIL is actually pretty intuitive; Added to the fact that most of the correction calls I'm hearing at the PRS practice matches and shoots are in MIL, I've decided to move to the MIL system. Grendel seems to like MIL holds beyond 300, and it's just really easy to move 1.2 MILS over 4 MOA when dialing or using a holdover reticle in MILS. I've just picked it up as a preference - so far. What sold me was figuring out that a MIL-DOT reticle is also pretty dang efficient for a hold over reticle inside 400, which is almost all hunting engagements. I zeroed on the first dot below the X at 200 yards, and from there, anything inside 100 was the x-cross, the 200 yards was on at the first dot, the 300 was the next dot, and 400 was just below the 3rd. 500 was two dots down from there. (All these holds would give boiler house hits, so it's not perfect for paper small group work, but inside 400, there isn't any wind hold in anything less than 20 MPH, at least not enough to avoid boiler house impacts, and for hunting it worked out exceptionally well.) For precision work at distance, the MIL is .1/click vs the MOA .25/click. So, .3inches vs .25 inches. At anything past 600, that's well within margin of error so I don't think it's enough of a factor to discourage MILs.

In a perfect world, I'd have enough funds to go with the March 1-10, but well, I'm not blessed with that kind of dough for a "tool purposed" optic. If it were, it would wind up on my LaRue, and stay there. But dreams are fun... I can't imagine tossing a 1.5K+ optic on the ground next to my freshly slain game, which eventually is what would happen - careful or not, and I don't want to take an optic to the woods and have to even worry about that.

Currently, I'm pretty confident this is how my Grendel optics will work out.

Pistol - Aimpoint PRO. A red dot? Really, where did that come from? My pistol with a 2MOA dot would be just about perfect zeroed to 200, and more than capable at 300. I'd just have to figure out holds, and practice until proficient at 300 to be really happy with my "truck gun" intended use.
                            Rifle, 18" - Vortex PST gen II 2.5-10X32 Mil. The reticle in this optic has Mil hashes on a verticle line vs the Xmas tree stadia. For hunting purposes this is pretty darn effective, and at longer ranges the Vortex reputation for dialing and repeatability are well earned and known.
                            6 Grendel/AR-I, 22" - Vortex Razor GenII 4.5-27 EBR4MIL - As this should be more than capable at 1k, I'm seriously considering this for a PRS bolt build. Are there better, sure, but this is plenty good enough. The reticle and reputation of this optic speak for themselves. More PRS champions use these tubes than any other, most likely for good reasons I can assume we all know.
                            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

Ks, a red dot zero'd at 50 is what should work. Won't be as easy to find a 50/200 as with a 223/556, but it should be workable. My 10" 300 BLK pistol has a 3 MOA PA red dot (don't recall which one but it was like $80 on Black Friday because China mismachined the base and it can only be used with the included mount - and for that dough I don't care!) and I ended up zeroing it 1" low at 50 which puts it 2.5" or so high at 100 and on a steel coyote at 200 - so pretty much minute of bad guy out to 200. Havent chrono'd it, but that load does 2330 out of my 16" carbine with a G1 of 0.293.

I've only had my 12.5" 264 LBC out once so far with my 2.5-10x32 Vortex HS LR with XLR MOA reticle, but my gut is telling me that its a match made in heaven. That scope was 2 MOA steel capable at 1k on my old 18" Grendel barrel and got its share of hits on 12" at 900 when it was on my erstwhile 22 Nosler. Had its share of near misses too on the latter, but that sucker can be a bee-itch if the wind is blowing.
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                                Chieftain
                                • Oct 2016

For the PRO - hitting a 10" disc or 8" square at 200, and I'm a happy camper. I'd just need to figure out the holds inside that, and since I have an indoor 100 yard range locally that's really easy. Like you mention though, it's all minute of bad guy inside that anyway, so I'm only rather partially worried about it. I've thought about the PRO and a 3X, but can't see why I'd opt for that when it'd be heavier and more obtuse than a simple 2-10...

It's good to hear about your 2-10 experience. I think the fact that it matches my imaginings says something about both of us... it may not be good...
                                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                                X