• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
    I'd call it a medium profile. It's got a short section of "bull barrel" surrounding the chamber, and then tapers from 0.800 to 0.700 at the gas block shoulder. So, it's a heavy barrel at the chamber tapering to a light barrel at the muzzle. This design minimizes flex and whip while keeping the weight very handy for hunting.
    Thanks for the info sir.

Was hoping you would say it's optimized for min amount of flex.

Comment

• tlbailey1
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2017

Very nice! I've gotten a few Green Mountain barrels by KAK and they are great, especially considering price. That 12" is calling my name! And possibly an 18 or 20.

Comment

• 1075 tech
        Warrior
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by tlbailey1 View Post
        Very nice! I've gotten a few Green Mountain barrels by KAK and they are great, especially considering price. That 12" is calling my name! And possibly an 18 or 20.
        BFT's gonna make me spend more money again

Comment

• mdram
          Warrior
          • Sep 2016

I'd call it a medium profile. It's got a short section of "bull barrel" surrounding the chamber, and then tapers from 0.800 to 0.700 at the gas block shoulder. So, it's a heavy barrel at the chamber tapering to a light barrel at the muzzle. This design minimizes flex and whip while keeping the weight very handy for hunting.

The beauty of this profile is that the weight is near the center of balance of the rifle, making it "feel" lighter than it is. More metal around the chamber is also a safety feature.
          sooo close. was hoping for it was an hbar. stupid md laws
          just some targets for printing
          https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Just curious, what is the law in MD?
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• mdram
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

Just curious, what is the law in MD?

barrels must be marketed/sold as hbars
              there is no official definition of hbar, they leave that to the manufacturer.
              most people say it should be labeled as an hbar.
              its a vary vague law

from the state police
              just some targets for printing
              https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• MadDog
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2018

Yep. Me too. Glad my wife likes to shoot. I think she will be getting her own Grendel soon.
                NRA Life, Long range rifle enthusiast, reloader.
                Hunt, fish, and just sitting out in the woods.

Comment

• Javman
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2016

Comment

• GregP42
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2015

BFT,

When do you want funds? Right now I am torn between a 20" and a 12", I have a 24" bolt gun, a 18" AA group buy barrel AR15 from the old board, and a 15" contender, I am thinking the 12" is what I need most, but.... argh......

Greg

Comment

• Ganderzone
                      Unwashed
                      • Aug 2018

Any ideas of the weights of the 16,18?

Comment

• Endyo
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2018

Tag above question. I'm very interested in either a 16" or 18" but need to know the weight for a ultralight build.

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Endyo View Post
                          Tag above question. I'm very interested in either a 16" or 18" but need to know the weight for a ultralight build.
                          Endyo...There may be lighter barrels if you're looking for a (true) ultralight build. The previous group buy barrels using a very similar profile to this came in at 1.9 pounds. Alexander Arms has a light weight, fluted 16" that is 1.74 and also offer a 16" Excursion barrel that comes in at 1.52. The only downside to the AA barrels is they come threaded 9/16-24 instead of the more common 5/8 -24.

Faxon makes a Match Series Gunner profile that weights 1.52 pounds.
                          Crafted from 416R stainless steel, this 16 inch 6.5 Grendel barrel is the pinnacle of value. All of our barrels are manufactured in-house in Cincinnati, Ohio.

If you truly want an ultralight build these might be better options. However, if you want a light barrel with a lot of rigidity the profile on these group buy barrels will deliver.
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Reiverman
                            Unwashed
                            • Jun 2018

I don't see any pictures of the barrels. Do you have a 12 in and is it mid length or carbine length gas system?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Reiverman View Post
                              I don't see any pictures of the barrels. Do you have a 12 in and is it mid length or carbine length gas system?
                              First page first post has pic diagram of barrels.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                                Administrator
                                • Feb 2011

Javman, freebore with the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI compound throat (with two angles to the rifling that makes up the throat) is an interesting animal. It does not have what we normally think of as a smooth, rifling-free bullet diameter freebore, but the rifling starts immediately at the mouth of the case at a shallow angle of 0.5 degrees and extends for 0.1547 — according to SAAMI print — at which point the rifling angle increases to 1.5 degrees.

The 0.5-degree section is the "freebore" in a SAAMI Grendel, and, though rifled, according to Bill Alexander adds only 600–1,000 psi chamber pressure to the mix.

Greg, when the barrels are in my hands I will post up buys for each length. Tracking says 16 and 20 are due to me Friday.

GZ, will post weights after bbls delivered and I weigh them.
                                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                                X