X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

If that would hit 20 ounces or less at 12.5" then I'd be in.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Variable View Post
      If that would hit 20 ounces or less at 12.5" then I'd be in.
      There'd be no way of knowing until one is made, but if the M4 came out to be 23-25ozs I'm confident this one would be in the 19-21oz range.

AR740

M4
      Last edited by cory; 07-11-2014, 12:06 PM.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Now instead of a trunk monkey I need a savant monkey versed in calculating material densities and volumes.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
          I would tend to agree; it just looks "right." Now, should one go with the tech specs one wants or how cool it looks?
          You guys are looking at pics with A frames installed. I do admit I love my 11.5" 6933, but a 12.5" can look pretty sexy too. When you add a rail of the right length for your application they can look downright perdy!

ETA: Stolen Arf pic of a 12.5"er with a 12" SAR rail and a barking spider.

Food for thought--- If you can squeek 2300fps out of a 12.5" barrel with the 123gr. SST, that'd give you 807ft lbs at 400 yards with a velocity of 1719fps. Hornady says their 123 SST still opens down to at least 1700fps... That's here in WV. Out where Paul is, he could probably shoot to the moon!LOL I don't know the minimum velocity for the Amax bullet.

I love the stubby tubes, but at the shorter lengths, every inch really counts IMHO.

ETA #2: An old quote from Dave in the Arf archives talking about his 12" barrel----

Originally posted by Gunwritr
          I had a few spare minutes today so I threw a few rounds over the chrono.
          Pretty pleased. AA's 100 grain Berger load is clocking just under 2,500 fps.
          Their 123 grain load is running 2,350 fps. That will retain 1,000 ft-lbs at 300 yards.
          That's more than a 5.56 SBR has at the muzzle....I need to build some handloads."
          Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

The links to here in that thread are unfortunately lost of course (they now link to totally unrelated threads here). They were pointed at the old board. We lost a bunch of data...

Anywhoo... With careful loads, I don't think there'd be a problem getting more steam than folks would think out of a 12.5" tube. A light handy SBR good to 400 yards would be pretty darn sweet.

Peep Stickman pics of a 12.5" w/CMR rail.....

stickman, billet, magpul, stickgunner, centurionarms, northtechdefense, centurionmodularrail

Last edited by Variable; 07-12-2014, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I might have to register as a lobbyist for the 12.5" lobby.

14.5" barrel with 14" CMR. Muzzle to rail ratio would be identical. Just mentally deduct 2" from the whole thing.LOL

ETA: Bummer. Just found out the 12" CMR rail is actually 12.58" long. Too long for a flush fit against a threaded on can on a 12.5" barrel.
            Last edited by Variable; 07-13-2014, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
              I don't recall ever seeing any 7" twists in grendel. As far as I know, the 7.5" twist on the 10.5" and 14.5" Sabre barrels are as tight as it ever got. There could be something out there though I guess. Definitely a Bill A. question on whether 7" would be good.

The one thing I can say is that a 7.5" twist stabilizes 160gr. Bullets in my 10.5" barrel. Would an 8" twist do it? I dunno?
              My 1:8.75 Satern barrel stabilizes the 160s. 1:8 should be GTG.
              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Tentatively put me down for a lightweight 12.5". If I can't get the problems worked out with my Sabre barrel I might need a new one.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                  My 1:8.75 Satern barrel stabilizes the 160s. 1:8 should be GTG.
                  What length is your Satern barrel?

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

20"

Comment

• BjornF16
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Do we have any data about port sizing and timing for the short barrels?...iirc, AA spent quite a bit of time getting their 10.5" barrel right
                      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                        Do we have any data about port sizing and timing for the short barrels?...iirc, AA spent quite a bit of time getting their 10.5" barrel right
                        In the original thread I started Hanka said he talked to Bill A. and he recommended a 12.5" with a 0.073" gas port.

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                        Since I've been thinking about a 12.5", about two weeks ago I asked Bill A. how he'd set it up. He said a 12.5 with a carbine length gas system and an H2 buffer he'd go with a port diameter of 0.073".

Alexander Arms used to sell a 10.5" and I know Bill wouldn't have signed off on it if it wasn't at least as reliable as Mk18. So maybe any differences in "reliability" between 10.5, 11.5, and 12.5 are negligible.

John
                        Last edited by cory; 07-16-2014, 12:47 AM. Reason: Found It.

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

I got us another deal to go with these barrels. Check out the 4th post of the thread.

NFA Disclaimer Once a sub 16" barrel is assembled into a complete firearm, it becomes a regulated item by the National Firearms Act (NFA), unless assembled into an AR Pistol. Please check with your local and state municipalities for any further regulatory requirements. It is the buyer’s responsibility to make sure

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

There has been a change. We're not getting a 10% discount from Spike's Tactical, we're getting a 20% discount.

Comment

WoW!! Where do I send my money?

Comment

• cory
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2012

Twist Rate

The reason Lilja doesn't do 1/2" twist is because they don't have the tooling. The tooling required costs a few hundred dollars.

If we can get a 25+ order here, Lilja will get the tooling to do the 7.5" Twist. However, it will cut into our additional discount.

Personally I don't mind paying a few more dollars to get the nominal twist rate. What do y'all think about it?

Comment

Working...
                                X