• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Londerko
    Warrior
    • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
    My most accurate loads with 123s use 8208 as well. I just highly recommend working up loads carefully and watching for pressure indicators. Chronograph is my favorite tool with Grendel workup as reading brass can be tricky.
    Thanks for the info
    Are You looking for velocity spikes within small powder charge increments?

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Londerko View Post
      Thanks for the info
      Are You looking for velocity spikes within small powder charge increments?
      Absolutely.

Years ago I took some advice from bwaites and LRRPF52 and focused on my velocity vs brass signs with the Grendel cartridge.

It's a relatively low pressure cartridge compared to most other AR variants, and it seems when you do start seeing swipes, burrs, flattened primers you are already over max pressure.

I watch for sudden jumps in velocity that are out of line with what that barrel length/charge/bullet should be. With the Grendel handbooks and the boat load of info on this forum it's easy to get a pretty good idea what velocities you should be around.

With this in mind, I've never broken a bolt or had any failures of any kind with my Grendels. I'm getting 9-12 loads out of brass (Hornady) unless I get some kind of pre-mature neck splitting.
      Last edited by Kilco; 12-12-2018, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• towerofpower93
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2016

I've found 8208 to be 'spiky' but very accurate with good ES/SD a few tenths under max in a few applications.

The temp stability is nice too.

This is why I was planning to try it first in the G with 123gr ELD-Ms

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

The Grendel loading manual list 28.5 grs IMR 8208 as a MAX load. Be very careful in approaching this amount because it depends on which bullets 120/23 gr you are using and YOUR RIFLE. With two bullets for me 28.0 120 Speer GD and 28.5 120 Sierra PH Hornady case, CCI 450 in two different rifles.

Comment

• TheGameMaster
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2019

Someone mentioned Leverevolution as a good powder. I load it in my 30-30. I can't find any data on it and it's not in my version of Quickload. Can someone who has used it, share their findings?

Comment

• FLshooter
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

Hornady 123G ELDM
              30g-31.5g Hornady Leverevolution.Start 10% from Max and work up.Be safe!

Comment

• SDguy
                Warrior
                • Oct 2015

Originally posted by TheGameMaster View Post
                Someone mentioned Leverevolution as a good powder. I load it in my 30-30. I can't find any data on it and it's not in my version of Quickload. Can someone who has used it, share their findings?
                Not sure why, Hodgdon suggest this powder and the Grendel should not be used together? Wish I understood as well.

I am not an AR kind of guy though. This being said I have tried this propellant with flat base Hornady 129 GR SP & velocity was surprisingly high with moderate pressures In my CZ 527's. A few other individuals have spoke highly of the LVR performance in the Grendel. LVR is a bit bulky for the 6.5 Grendel case.

With neck sized brass in the bolt action I seen top velocities with 129 gr sp and this LVR propellant over anything else. I went as far as settling the powder with an electric toothbrush to allow the powder to settle for a max charge.

a few searches yielded the following threads that may be worth a read. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/archi...hp/t-7142.html

Comment

Working...
                X