X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vaguru
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2022

Well I guess the local availability has determined what I can start with for my reloading. Only powder local is H335, not that bad a choice I guess. I don't want to order 8# of anything I haven't tried, so H335 it is, for now.

Keep the recommendations coming, local supply could change. Really was hoping I could have found some AR Comp.

Comment

• DeNinny
      Warrior
      • Sep 2022

Originally posted by vaguru View Post
      Well I guess the local availability has determined what I can start with for my reloading. Only powder local is H335, not that bad a choice I guess. I don't want to order 8# of anything I haven't tried, so H335 it is, for now.

Keep the recommendations coming, local supply could change. Really was hoping I could have found some AR Comp.
      Have you tried online sites like Powder Valley? Right now they have TAC, AR Comp, Benchmark. I still buy local but there's always better availability online. And right now what's available is so much better than the last two years. (That said, I still can't find XBR 8208.)

Shop Smokeless Powder. Hodgdon Powder, IMR Powder, Alliant Powder, Accurate Powder, Ramshot Powder, Vihtavuori Powder, Shooters World

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

Originally posted by DeNinny View Post
        I get it. It typically hits max load in the middle of the velocity range, so I can never get the highest speeds with it as compared to TAC and CFE223. But supposedly it's very temp stable, and in my personal experience it produces tighter groups than CFE223.
        try 8208, its also very temp stable, and give a better velocity than varget
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

Isn't that what Federal uses with their TNT 90 Preditor load, which gives pretty great velocity? It's an older and not sexy powder, but really, not a bad choice at all.
          4x P100

Comment

• mdram
            Warrior
            • Sep 2016

ar-comp has dropped a couple of times the past week, but does not last long

Comment

• DeNinny
              Warrior
              • Sep 2022

Originally posted by mdram View Post
              Yeah I tried to get some for the last two years. Looked everywhere with no luck. And in the process I got 8lbs of both TAC and Varget when they became available. So now it will be years before I need to get more powder.

Comment

• trubulator
                Warrior
                • Aug 2022

On the shelf right next to the leprechaun beards and the unicorn farts...

I'd love to buy a keg of 8208 but it just isn't available. I have played with TAC and H335, both of which were good. Have a pound of A2520 to try. I have also found a pound of CFE 223, but its lack of temp stability is problematic. I really want to find a temp sable powder that gives good accuracy and high velocity with 123 grain bullets. 8208 fits the bill nicely if it ever shows up. In the meantime I am going to pick up a keg of TAC to use for Grendel and 223 target loads and stick with 335 for hunting if something better doesn't appear by next fall.

The popularity of AR Comp makes me think it should be on my list as well. Temp stable?

Comment

• mdram
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2016

Originally posted by trubulator View Post

I'd love to buy a keg of 8208 but it just isn't available. I have played with TAC and H335, both of which were good. Have a pound of A2520 to try. I have also found a pound of CFE 223, but its lack of temp stability is problematic. I really want to find a temp sable powder that gives good accuracy and high velocity with 123 grain bullets. 8208 fits the bill nicely if it ever shows up. In the meantime I am going to pick up a keg of TAC to use for Grendel and 223 target loads and stick with 335 for hunting if something better doesn't appear by next fall.

The popularity of AR Comp makes me think it should be on my list as well. Temp stable?
                  last 8lb drop of 8208 was 2 days ago at pv

edit:
                  this has a test for ar-comp temp stability in 223

Last edited by mdram; 01-05-2023, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Wow. No wonder people like H4350.
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• trubulator
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2022

last 8lb drop of 8208 was 2 days ago at pv

edit:
                        this has a test for ar-comp temp stability in 223

I never seem to be at the right place at the right time for 8208.

Really, I should probably just stop trying to chase velocity, etc. With a 335-based SST load I had no problems killing a large doe at over 300 yards last month. It only chrono'd 2400 FPS out of a 20 inch barrel, but when the bullet hit the chest cavity she went down on the spot like she had been struck by lightning. I have good loads with TAC and 335 and these bullets. Maybe that is good enough.

Comment

• mdram
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2016

Really, I should probably just stop trying to chase velocity, etc. With a 335-based SST load I had no problems killing a large doe at over 300 yards last month. It only chrono'd 2400 FPS out of a 20 inch barrel, but when the bullet hit the chest cavity she went down on the spot like she had been struck by lightning. I have good loads with TAC and 335 and these bullets. Maybe that is good enough.
                          2400 is fine, my 123gr loads all seem to end up around 2450

Comment

• Bonas
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2022

It's easy to forget that velocity is a means, not an end. If a load achieves your end, you're done. No reason to chase velocity after that, even though it's hard not to.

Comment

• trubulator
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Bonas View Post
                              It's easy to forget that velocity is a means, not an end. If a load achieves your end, you're done. No reason to chase velocity after that, even though it's hard not to.
                              I am coming to that conclusion. Easier to do with a full freezer courtesy of my "slow" 6.5 load...

Comment

• TedBrewer5
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2019

Comment

Working...
                                X