X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
    In view of the moribund global economy, "now" trumps "never." Whose crystal ball is clear enough to pick and choose timing? Not mine.
    No crystal ball needed. We re-elected a known anti-gun president. And way back in the spring of 2012 it appeared that might be the case. Stocking up as fast as possible became a priority. In January of 2012 I had perhaps 500 rounds of .40, 200 rounds of .45, 200 rounds of .223. I had LOTS of Grendel, which is what I shot the most, and I had plenty of 7mm WSM, but I had no .22. By July I had the ability to multiply all those numbers many fold, and I had started collecting .22.

The writing was on the wall. My friends and I were talking about it, even my wife asked if I was making sure I had enough supplies in case Obama was elected.

Now I pick and choose as stuff becomes available.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

even my wife asked if I was making sure I had enough supplies in case Obama was elected.

Never let her go!

Comment

• To clarify. "In view of the moribund global economy, 'now' trumps 'never,'" means "Nobody can be faulted for buying 'now' because 'now' may be their last chance."

"Whose crystal ball is clear enough to pick and choose timing?" —meaning nobody can be faulted for buying "now" because waiting for better prices may be a wait in vain.

Yes, the handwriting has been on the wall since the Republican GHW Bush let Heritage Foundation President Ed Feulner talk Bush into his AW import ban, but not every one had the insight or means to do anything about it.

I suppose I should have simply said, "Better late than never."

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
          To clarify. "In view of the moribund global economy, 'now' trumps 'never,'" means "Nobody can be faulted for buying 'now' because 'now' may be their last chance."

"Whose crystal ball is clear enough to pick and choose timing?" —meaning nobody can be faulted for buying "now" because waiting for better prices may be a wait in vain.

Yes, the handwriting has been on the wall since the Republican GHW Bush let Heritage Foundation President Ed Feulner talk Bush into his AW import ban, but not every one had the insight or means to do anything about it.

I suppose I should have simply said, "Better late than never."
          I understood, Nukes, just yanking your chain a little!!

Comment

• bark, bark

Comment

• COTNTOP
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

People call stockpiles "hoarding" because they did not buy when the time was right. I don't blame anyone for buying all that they can in ammo related items. Things will never get any cheaper unless you are talking the dollar.

Comment

• Nicely said!!

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by COTNTOP View Post
                  People call stockpiles "hoarding" because they did not buy when the time was right. I don't blame anyone for buying all that they can in ammo related items. Things will never get any cheaper unless you are talking the dollar.
                  Thank you!LOL

People on the board used to call me a hoarder for the amount of ammo I've laid back, but I bet those folks wish they'd have done likewise now.LOL

I haven't bought any panic priced ammo since this mess started, and really have only bought some .45acp to run through a new acquisition. I won't make any real ammo purchases until I can buy at near the same prices I was paying before. This mess will blow over, and then I'll go back to "hoarding". Hopefully many others will too. That way there should be fewer runs on ammo that way.

My one concession is drastically curtailing normal personal ammo usage. I don't want to unnecessarily diminish my fort during contentious times.
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                    Thank you!LOL

People on the board used to call me a hoarder for the amount of ammo I've laid back, but I bet those folks wish they'd have done likewise now.LOL

I haven't bought any panic priced ammo since this mess started, and really have only bought some .45acp to run through a new acquisition. I won't make any real ammo purchases until I can buy at near the same prices I was paying before. This mess will blow over, and then I'll go back to "hoarding". Hopefully many others will too. That way there should be fewer runs on ammo that way.

My one concession is drastically curtailing normal personal ammo usage. I don't want to unnecessarily diminish my fort during contentious times.
                    As a long time stockpiler, can you enlighten us as to what you consider adequate for these kind of situations?

Comment

• babaganoush
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                      As a long time stockpiler, can you enlighten us as to what you consider adequate for these kind of situations?
                      More than I can carry without use of a hand truck? More than I can shoot in a month's time? As much as it takes to scare my lib neighbors into thinking I'm the antichrist? Dunno. Pick one.
                      "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

About:

10K 5.56
                        5k 9x19mm
                        5k .40 S&W
                        1k .32 ACP
                        1k .380 ACP
                        2k .45 ACP
                        3k 12 Gauge
                        10k .22LR
                        5k 7.62x39
                        5k 5.45
                        1k .50BMG

Etc., etc....

Others have much more I'm sure. If I hadn't lost it all (in the all too frequently occurring) tragic boating accidents that seem to be escalating lately... I'd be heavier on some, and slightly short on others. I'm too sloppy to keep hard numbers, and too lazy to do an inventory.

Throw in a minimum of 400 rounds for any hunting arm that you never train or plink with, and stashes for whatever weird things come along. 16 gauge, 8x57R, etc...

I need to replenish Grendel (about 3k), but with 2k brass, 2k 7.62x39 IMI brass, piles of components, etc. I'm not overly paranoid about it. I'll bide my time for now.

I need 5.7 ammo, but I'm in no mood to get raped. I want to stash the newer SS198, but lead free priming is a major strike against it in my book. I haven't decided what to do in that category yet. I'm down to less than 1k of SS197 for plinking purposes, and I have an undisclosed quantity of the good stuff. Enough quantity to last through one altercation of medium tempo... Of course if it occured at my house, I likely wouldn't survive what came next anyway.LOL

I need somebody to start making real 5.7 ammo at realistic pricing, and for the dang steel case Grendel to get here (and be good!). I can reload, but I hate to. I'll see what shakes out...
                        Last edited by Variable; 06-02-2013, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• Michael
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2012

Variable - you're my hero. Think you are a little light with .22LR. Can't reload it, and is a very useful round...
                          I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
                          - Voltaire

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Variable - you're my hero. Think you are a little light with .22LR. Can't reload it, and is a very useful round...
                            You are correct. I'm slacking in that regard. I should have more of it. I'll try to stash more when the price/availability gets decent again. I'm heavy on the CCI 40 gr. HP subs for my cans, but I should have more variety too. I want to try the Wolf 22 match ammo, but our wholesaler never seems to have it (even in normal times), so I've been letting it slide for too long. The rest of my rimfire pile is mostly made up of Remington Thunderbolts and Winchester Wildcats. Trashy ammo I know, but it's what I was grabbing when I strolled through wally world. Now it's all carton stuff, and I'm not sure what I should start grabbing as general purpose stuff after things return to normal.

People think about their "SHTF" stash, but what about orientation/practice ammo? All those family members that need spun up will eat into the pile quickly. I've got three females just starting to take things more seriously, and I'm going to need more stash to cover them also.

For .45 acp I'm plinking with Winchester whiteboxed ball ammo for now. I put back 1k of Winchester 230 grain "Ranger T" (I believe that's what the boxes said) for eventual carry. I'm still plinking and familiarizing myself with the pistol for now. Soon I'll switch over and see if it likes the Ranger fodder accuracy/reliability wise.

AA has usually had a decent price on the Wolf Grendel ammo (120 MPT), and them and AIM seem to be the places to beat pricewise for that cartridge. Hopefully that will carry over and we'll see the steel cased stuff priced nice sometime soon too. Partial fantasy I know, but the Great Pumpkin has to come floating around one of these days (I hope!).

Until the factory ammo flows freely again, I think you guys who are reloading the Grendel with the bulk packs of the 123s are doing well. I've also always liked the Nosler 120 BTs too. It's seems easy to make accurate loads with that bullet.

Comment

• Redraider
                              Warrior
                              • May 2012

Whipping an old dead horse here.....................has ANYONE seen ANYTHING as far as Hornady ammo and mags from AA?

Thanks

Redraider

Comment

• Longshot_34

I got Beowulf mags with my upper on July 3. Dont know if that helps you any.

Comment

Working...
                                X