X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

There are good arguments for the 6mm for competition and plinking.

For hunting, however, there is more to the story than just velocity, drift, and energy. The weight of well-designed hunting bullets is the primary correlation factor for how large an animal one can reliability take given good shot placement.

The Grendel can readily digest 140 gr-class bullets while the 6mm tops out at 115 gr (and those are target bullets). The result is that the Grendel can and does routinely harvest elk while the 6mm often has problems with the heaviest deer.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jackRyan View Post
      I know this is an older post, but I am thinking about my birthday or Christmas wish. Listening Santa? A good 6.5 Grendel Bolt, or a 6mm ARC upper. I am not a frequent 1000 yard/meter shooter. but i do hunt. To be honest i am a 6.5 Grendel lover, BUT that being said, Hornady has the 6mm arc as compared to the 224 Valkyrie and the 6.5 Grendel. The 6mm ARC wins out in almost every catigory over the other two. Less drop and windage, and more foot pounds of energy, and more speed. Not a lot more than a Grendel, BUT if I were shooting long range, say over 600 yards, I would give the nod to the ARC. The thot for the moment is this one two part question. What will the 6 ARC become after as much time and development as the 6.5 Grendel, and will it ever be an intrest on a large enough scale to even begin doing so. Not much 6mm ARC shelf ammo. The 6.5 grendel has a decent amount of companies selling it. Hand loaders are lovin the 6.5 Grendel and seeing its limits easily surpass any shelf ammo for it. As for the 6mm ARC in a bolt, I would just go with a good old 243 Winchester with 50 grains of powder compared to 30 grains for the 6mm ARC, and 243 velocities ranging from 2900(90 grain boolit)-3900(50 grain boolit) feet per second vs 2300-2750 feet per second for the 6mm arc. Of course those velocities are with 20 inch barrels.The 243 is known as a white tail deer slayer when using a 90 grain boolit. Watched my bro inlaw drop more than a few bucks with a one shot knockdown, with not more than a short leap and face plant. Oh well, decisions, decisions decisions.of course those velocities are with 20 inch barrels.
      , 105gr Sierra Blitzking, 2775fps, .421 G1 BC, 6300ft ASL, 80 deg F, 100yd zero

300yds 2305 fps 1239 ft-lbs, 103gr ELD-X Precision Hunter, 2720fps, .512 G1 BC, 6300ft ASL, 80 deg F, 100yd zero

300yds 2257 fps 1165 ft-lbs
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Where I have been with the 6AR is running the 58 gr. Vmax pushed to around 3200 fps. For coyotes and smaller varmints this has an edge. 300 yards is plenty of range in my case. I also feel that up to 300 yards either will be fine. For hogs I like the Grendel better. I have that for the excuse to own both. I also feel mass counts more than BC other than shooting paper or steel way out there in the wind.

Comment

• Huckleberry75
          Warrior
          • Jun 2018

20230924_184806.jpg
          I think I will call that good for 129ablr's at 100yds. Small squares are 1/4" grid. Time to center up and verify speed.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Huckleberry75 View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]19937[/ATTACH]
            I think I will call that good for 129ablr's at 100yds. Small squares are 1/4" grid. Time to center up and verify speed.
            What load is that, how many round group?
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Huckleberry75
              Warrior
              • Jun 2018

26.4gn of H4895, Starline, cci450, 3xrds. My typical ranges are under 200yds.
              Last edited by Huckleberry75; 09-25-2023, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                Warrior
                • Sep 2023

Interesting comment as I've seen a lot of folks using the 100gr in the Grendel. Not surprising that the larger projectile is louder, question is what will it do on game (for me, others may be more interested in accuracy).

IMO, it seems like a 1st world problem if a 6mm ARC is better than a 6.5 Grendel for whitetail. I keep trying to like cartridges that will fit in the mini action, but at the end of the day I seem to like a short action a heck of a lot better. Yet another 1st world problem is how many rifles do I need... The larger 6.5mm bullet seems to be a big advantage for game, where the 6mm bullet is most likely better for targets. 22 Creedmoor looks like some fun also...in regard to mini action.
                From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

Working...
                X