• Apr 2017

Originally posted by RMiller View Post
    The ones I have measured are .262.
    As were the couple I pulled.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

There is so much information here about the 6.5 Grendel Wolf steel case ammo that would help a user determine if it is right for their needs.
      I am not going to shoot national match ammo everytime I shoot or ever probably.
      When shooting targets for fun most people don't need more than 3 MOA anyway.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I read where a lot if not most 30-06 WW II FMJ used a steel jacket with a thin copper coating (copper washed). Quality of manufacture, good components and quality control go a long way regardless of product. I don’t think the copper washed steel jacketed ammo is bad I think the bullet used by Branual is not high quality. You buy cheaper ammo you don’t get as good of performance. I veiw the Wolf steel cased ammo in 6.5 Grendel as the same situation as steel cased in the 5.56/223. Reduced cost and generally less accuracy.

I bought my 12” Nitride barrel 6.5 Grendel pistol to shoot shorter range with the Wolf steel cased ammo. It would be interesting if Wolf would import the steel cased ammo with a good hunting bullet like the 123 grain SST for $8-$10 a box of 20. I think there are a lot of people who would buy Wolf for hunting if it had a better bullet.

Comment

• CWOZ
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2018

Seems to me that if you pay for hamburger but expect prime steak, you may be very "hopeful". Both will fill you up if you are hungry but steak is usually a lot better tasting. I can buy a lot more burger for everyday eating and save the steak for special days.
          Wolf is cheap, Hornady etc. isn't, but expecting Hornady performance from Wolf is being "hopeful". If it goes bang, hits 3-4 MOA, and makes a hole, it would prob work for stacking deep for general purpose blasting.

I have not had a chance to take my 12" PSA out with Wolf or Horn, but I will get to it once muzzle loader deer season is done, I am "hopeful" I get steak with the Wolf, but burger will work OK too.

Comment

• Phalanx
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2018

It would be nice if you could buy a barrel with a diameter that matched the wolf bullet better.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Phalanx View Post
              It would be nice if you could buy a barrel with a diameter that matched the wolf bullet better.
              No Wolf needs to put a .264/6.5mm bullet in the .264/6.5mm ammo they are selling.

The thought has come up if one wanted to pay to have a bore cut at .262 specifically for Wolf ammo...only for Wolf ammo...ever... I suspect bad things would occur with a .264 getting shoved down that pipe with a max pressure of 52k
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

If you did that then it wouldn't fit any other .264/6.5 bullet used in any 6.5 grendel ammo or handloads.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                  No Wolf needs to put a .264/6.5mm bullet in the .264/6.5mm ammo they are selling.

The thought has come up if one wanted to pay to have a bore cut at .262 specifically for Wolf ammo...only for Wolf ammo...ever... I suspect bad things would occur with a .264 getting shoved down that pipe with a max pressure of 52k
                  I remember reading Ruger makes mini-30s in 7.62x39 with a .308 bore and I haven't heard of them blowing up when shooting .312 factory ammo.
                  Last edited by bj139; 12-13-2018, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• GregP42
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2015

I shot about 50 rounds of it today out of my 12" pistol. It worked fine, about 2 inches at 100 yards. I got it for the run and gun AR matches we have at our club, as most shots are inside 20 yards at most, and I don't have to hunt for my brass.

Greg

Comment

• Phalanx
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                      If you did that then it wouldn't fit any other .264/6.5 bullet used in any 6.5 grendel ammo or handloads.
                      That would be a downside. On the other hand, wolf is a huge percentage of the 65 grendel ammo market. Im sure there would be demand for a barrel optimized for this round.

Comment

• Phalanx
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2018

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                        I remember reading Ruger makes mini-30s in 7.62x39 with a .308 bore and I haven't heard of them blowing up when shooting .312 factory ammo.
                        I've heard this too. I have a vz2008 with a .308 bore. I suspect all US made ak barrels are .308 as well.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

That would be a downside. On the other hand, wolf is a huge percentage of the 65 grendel ammo market. Im sure there would be demand for a barrel optimized for this round.
                          If there was we would have one on the market already. But I still wouldn't own it and have it effect accuracy with true .264/6.5mm bullets used in factory grendel ammo or my handloads.

Having a barrel or upper on the market with a bore sized to make the most of the undersized fmj used in the wolf ammo is a answer looking for a problem.

It would be safer and more cost effective for Wolf to use a .264 bullet and not a .262 bullet.

All that said AA barrels tend to shot it the best from what I have seen posted and with my own eyes shooting it out my 16 inch AA barreled grendel. It will hold 1.5 inch 10 round groups at 100 and have yet to miss a steel target out as far as 400 yards with it.

Guys need to remember it's cheap plinking/training/shtf/home and self defense ammo nothing more.

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2017

I'm sure theres a reason why the Wolf bullets are undersized compare to standard copper jacketed bullets. By all reports the 6.5 Grendel Wolf ammo shoots significantly more accurately than comparable Wolf ammo in .223 or 7.62x39.

Anyone know what the usual bore diameter (land to land) of a Grendel barrel is? Anyone ever slugged their barrel? It would have to be less than .264, and I'm guessing it's even less than. 262.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by depletedyourcranium View Post
                              I'm sure theres a reason why the Wolf bullets are undersized compare to standard copper jacketed bullets. By all reports the 6.5 Grendel Wolf ammo shoots significantly more accurately than comparable Wolf ammo in .223 or 7.62x39.

Anyone know what the usual bore diameter (land to land) of a Grendel barrel is? Anyone ever slugged their barrel? It would have to be less than .264, and I'm guessing it's even less than. 262.
                              30 cal uses .308 bullets.
                              So .264 minus .008 = .256.
                              .256 x 25.4mm/inch = 6.5024mm.
                              Must be 6.5mm bore. Makes sense to me.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                                The chart looks legit, but there is one thing that they do not show - accuracy of Wolf ammo, which out of a top end barrel is 1.5 MOA at best (at least that is the best that I managed to get with a 5 shot group out of a 24" Lilja, 18"Barlien, and 20" Howa), and other reports are on par with that. Whereas the Hornady Black and my handloads are .4 pretty consistently. And this is shooting prone with a 24x optic, not a RDS. As always shot placement is the key.

The problem is that Wolf uses an undersized bullet at .262 nominal, being shoved down a .264 bore.

Another thread here did a comparison of a 12.5" grendel against a 16" AK47. Aside from muzzle energy & velocity, the SB Grendel cleaned it's clock across the board and was still supersonic and holding MOA at 800 yards. Nothing compared to a 5.56 yet but I suspect that the results will be the same.

You can't go wrong with the caliber, but you can certainly go wrong with the ammo. If Minute of Man is all you care about, then go with it. Just don't gamble on a BCA as your firing platform.
                                There's an old post from an engineer/test guy from Federal who shot a bunch of 5.56 and .223 ammo through a test barrel to show chamber pressures, accuracy, velocity, and measured BC at 200yds.

Both the .223 Rem 55gr Wolf and Silver Bear loads grouped over 7" at 200yds from a barrel that would normally hold .25 MOA.

7" at 200yds is 3.5 MOA, and one of them grouped 7.2" at that range.

BCs were between .218 and .244, with a lot of variance even within the specific sample brand.
                                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X