X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill37
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Could the bullet be powder coated in the loaded cartridge and would enough of the bullet be coated ?

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by hill37 View Post
      Could the bullet be powder coated in the loaded cartridge and would enough of the bullet be coated ?
      That is more hassle than push pull with a 100 SMK or ELD.

Can't cook the loaded ammo, and you won't get an even coat. You would have to swage them all after coating.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Sixoeight
        Warrior
        • Jul 2018

Anyone know the story behind the undersized bullets? Are they for a different caliber? Or did someone prototyping the bullet design just go "good enough...make a million more"? It seems so odd. There has to be a reason that they would continue to make bad ammo on purpose.

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Sixoeight View Post
          Anyone know the story behind the undersized bullets? Are they for a different caliber? Or did someone prototyping the bullet design just go "good enough...make a million more"? It seems so odd. There has to be a reason that they would continue to make bad ammo on purpose.
          This assumes the ammo is actually "bad" and presumes that using a .264 bullet would be more better. For steel case ammo, 6.5 Wolf seems to do very well. I've shot a lot of steel case bimetal bullet .223 and 7.62 from a variety of rifles in both calibers, and 4 inch groups were the norm in rifles that could easily shoot close to a inch with match ammo.

So for a type of ammo that should be about 4 MOA to be shooting 2 MOA in many rifles and even sub MOA in a few if those reports are to be believed is pretty phenomenal. I dont know but it seems like a fair guess to say that undersized .262 projectile has something to do with that. These bimetal projectiles dont behave the same way a copper clad bullet does and we cant apply the same conventional thinking to the internal ballistics of them.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I always wondered if the .002 difference in bullet is because the steel jacketed bullet with copper coating is less pliable than gilding metal jacketed bullets. I read where the copper coating was to help resist corrosion on steel jacketed bullets. The .002 difference might be there to keep the bullet from swaging to the rifling. The steel jacketed bullets could scrub off more steel jacket material in the bore which might not be a good attribute, hense .002 less diameter. The .002 difference could have something to do with allowing for various rust inhibitive material added to the bullet diameter. Might be just manufacturing tolerance for minute of man ammo.

I never measured any spent steel jacketed 7.62x39 ammo to see if it measured .311. I know Ruger used a barrel throat a little larger than .308 and not .311 in Mini 30’s which enabled a Mini to safely fire either .308 or .311 diameter bullets.

Comment

• Keef
              Warrior
              • Jun 2017

The wolf projectiles I've pulled out of the berm looked to be engraved pretty strongly. I'm trying to find a picture of them.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I know bullet engraving to rifling has a significant impact on accuracy. Try shooting a hard cast .355 bullet in a 9 mm pistol barrel and you’ll get key holes. Sized .356 or .357 hard cast lead bullets get stabalized and are accurate.

Interesting observation about Swedish 6.5x55 barrels and probably similar with 6.5 Grendel, I just couldn’t find the spec.

Groove diameter is .264” (6.7056 or 6.71 mm) +or- tolerance

Land/bore diameter .256” (6.5 mm = .2559”) +or- tolerance

So with some nations not having as high of manufacturing standards in regards to tolerance is the .002 good enough and just easier to obtain in mass produced product without rigid regard for tight tolerances? Is the .002 difference in bullet diameter there for safety concerns because of variations in manufacturing and tolerances?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

I just measured several Tulammo 7.62x39 and Remington 7.62x39 cartridges.

Tulammo were consistently .310" at the shank.

Remington were mostly .309" with 1 x .310". Some had an exposed cannelure, others not.

Maybe the Russians assume that going .002" smaller is the way to deal with the Western bores, or maybe it's an easy bet against short-throated chambers and pressure spikes.

Load to a lower chamber pressure and undersize the projectiles to avoid liabilities?
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Didn't Bill Alexander get the manufacturer to make the steel cased ammo in 6.5 Grendel? Maybe he knows.

Comment

• wheatwt
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2018

I am looking to buy/build a light weight 16in upper and would love to know what barrel Wolf seems to shoot best from. Anyone have a light weight barrel that gives them 2.5ish moa or better with wolf?

-W

Comment

• Drillboss
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by wheatwt View Post
                        I am looking to buy/build a light weight 16in upper and would love to know what barrel Wolf seems to shoot best from. Anyone have a light weight barrel that gives them 2.5ish moa or better with wolf?

-W
                        Alexander Arms. My first group with Wolf was 1.25". I called AA with a question once and finally got Bill to pick up. He said the Wolf ammo shoots better through conventional rifling rather than 5R. The more aggressive rifling stabilizes the bimetal jacket better.

Comment

• Sinclair
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                          I remember reading Ruger makes mini-30s in 7.62x39 with a .308 bore and I haven't heard of them blowing up when shooting .312 factory ammo.
                          I had Mini-thirty and Ruger had designed a special throat to "gently" squeeze the .312 dia bullets down to .308. I also have a chamber adaptor to shoot .32 H&R Magnum in a 30 -30. Some things that logic says should not be are? Back to the OP, my experience with Wolf ammo is that it is very inconsistent in accuracy, MOA this clip full and 3 MOA the next! But as someone above pointed out, if you are plinking pop bottles or milk jugs with the kids or the little woman, who cares, after all its the shooting that is fun not about setting a new offhand world record.
                          "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                          Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                          Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Phalanx View Post
                            It would be nice if you could buy a barrel with a diameter that matched the wolf bullet better.
                            Or if Wolf could make the bullets the correct size.
                            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• R2BRO
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
                              Alexander Arms. My first group with Wolf was 1.25". I called AA with a question once and finally got Bill to pick up. He said the Wolf ammo shoots better through conventional rifling rather than 5R. The more aggressive rifling stabilizes the bimetal jacket better.
                              wow that was really interesting info! I'll take note of that. can you please say which exactly barrel was that? (trying to see the short barrels from Faxon, all are 5R...)

guys, in that case here is one more question regarding the comparison to 100gr Wolf:

How does suppression performance with suppressor on 12.5" conventional rifling with 100gr Wolf will compare to any Hornady 110gr 300Blackout bullet shot out from 8" or 12" barrel?

In other words, what will be suppressed more: 100gr 6.5G Wolf from convenional rifling 12.5" barrel OR 110gr 300blackout from 8 or 12" barrel?
                              Last edited by R2BRO; 12-14-2018, 05:33 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
                                Chieftain
                                • Dec 2016

Nobody has managed to get subsonic Grendel working, so I would think that you will not notice the difference with supers in the Blackout. Given a choice between a Grendel and Blackout in a 12", I am going Grendel simply based on ballistics.
                                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                                X